Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Snowed Under

The weather outside is frightful, but the boiler inside is delightful, and while I have no place to go (coz I'm on-call), let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

Ok, I admit that was very selfish of me. People up and down the country are worried about whether they'd be able to get to work the next day, catch that flight they've booked months ago, or simply not break any limbs while walking in the snow, and here I am wishing I'd see more white stuff. Hmm...

I guess you probably have read about the cold snap we've had since new year's. In actual fact, the unusually cold weather started before the holiday season. While some parts of the UK and Ireland witnessed the magical phenomenon of White Christmas, London-dwellers only had Christmas. Booooo.....

Anyway, I was watching the news on the telly earlier and the Met Office has apparently issued an emergency weather warning for tomorrow, with heavy snow and ice expected for Wednesday, and subzero temperatures on Thursday and Friday. Thousands of schools have been shut nationwide and airports like Heathrow and Gatwick have been closed due to high volumes of snow. Over here in South Ken, we've only been getting cotton-y snow every now and again but nothing too thick. *I hope to be proven wrong in the morning*

So what else is new, apart from the new year? I went to work yesterday with a bunch of new year resolutions, one of which was to "chill-out-relax-and-don't-stress" but I've already sent that packing. "Take it slow" was another one but if I couldn't achieve #1 I can't do #2! I also resolved to "strike a balance" but everyone knows the act of juggling is one hell of a skill to master, so you will pardon me if I do not achieve that by the end of this year...or in fact this decade!

I promised myself I will "stop buying material stuff", but it looks like I may have to un-apply that resolution for January as my most expensive possession is kaputing as we speak. My laptop of 5 years, the one which has been a loyal servant to me during my uni days, has what I think is old age. It switches off randomly and malfunctions whenever it feels like malfunctioning. So while I have made peace with the fact that I can no longer watch my favourite TV shows via online streaming, I cannot accept the annoyance of having to restart the computer in the middle of reading an interesting article, typing an email, or checking out good deals on eBay or Amazon. And let's not forget that I have zero patience to begin with!

#5 - Get a man.

*Hmm, all you people are shooting me funny looks*

Hahahaha!!!

Disclaimer: Nolah nolah, it's not on my resolution list. Wishlist maybe, but not resolution list.

No comments: