Sunday, February 04, 2007

Spiceworld


The good thing about this free LoveFilm DVD trial is that I get to watch films which I've missed over the years, as well as movies whose DVDs I refuse to buy because I know I won't watch again.

Spiceworld was the most recent one they dispatched to me.

While it fitted the first description, I'm not sure if it does the second. Yeah alright, everyone said it was a 'worse than tacky' movie, which I have to agree to a certain extent because there is no storyline to it whatsoever (or maybe it was just too weak to be known as one). But I enjoyed it. Thoroughly. I can't remember the last time a movie has made me laugh so hysterically, and at the same time, reminded me so much of yesteryears, which doesn't seem that far away but is some time ago. Say what you want but I grew up with the Spice Girls. I can't turn back time!

The film was loosely based upon the Famous 5, and how it was like being famous and the fickleness that came with it. Paparazzo hounding their every move, insinuating journalists deliberately twisting their words, and the ever influential media sensationalising their actions. As much as they hated it, I hope they won't forget that it was after all, merchandising and publicity that had contributed much to the Spice phenomenon.
Nevertheless, what made watching the movie enjoyable for me was the fact that I get to see footages of the Spice Girls in action that was for once, longer than a 5-minute music video or a 15-minute interview with MTV. Also, it wasn't like Crossroads where everything Britney did, touched and said was gold (to quote a film critic "Well, what do you expect? It's a Britney Spears movie!"). Spiceworld was done with a lot of self-deprecating humour (typical of the Brits) and in-your-face parody. There was a scene where the girls were tired of being stereotyped by the media as Ginger, Sporty, Posh, Baby and Scary, so they decided to have some fun ditching what they think were ill-defined personalities, and imitated as one another...Ginger did a Sporty, who did a Posh, who did a Baby, who did a Scary. That was a good one.
And then there was this 'fast-forward to the future' scene where all of them had become mothers. Baby was pregnant but still sucking a lollipop, Geri was puffing a ciggie as she complained to Scary who was in very "mom" clothes mixing a bowl of dough; Posh was all calm, sitting on her exquisite furniture sipping tea and thanking God for boarding schools such that she only sees her kids "once a month", and Sporty, dressing and behaving very much chav-like on the bicycle, trying to lose the hundreds of pounds that were piled on her (thanks to a fat suit), lamenting about her son wanting to become a singer and her telling him off. What capped this convincing performance was the distinctive Northern accent of hers!
If there's one thing from this movie I won't forget, it's probably this (which was part of the Spice regimental mantra they chanted in a dance camp).
We're the Spice Girls yes indeed,
just Girl Power is all we need;
We know how we got this far,
Strength and courage in a Wonderbra.
Haha, the 3 things I badly need! :)

No comments: