Thursday, November 08, 2007

Awkward Moment

Our department organised a welcoming party for international students this evening at Aberdare Hall.

The turn out wasn't great, but better than what I had expected. Our head of school was there, as well as a few lecturers and academic staff.

As it was held around the same time as my part-time job in the kitchen, I couldn't stay long and only popped by to say hi and grabbed some finger food before starting work.

I saw Ven, one of my juniors and walked over to his table and joined him. He was engaged in a conversation with another person, and when it came to a standstill, I extended my hand and introduced myself.

"Hi I'm Adeline."

He looked at me.

Then at my hand.

And back at me.

"Hi. Er, I'm Rahim (name is changed to protect privacy of the person in question). Sorry I can't shake your hand."

Woops.

I never knew that. I have shaken hands with male Muslim friends before and they never told me off so I assumed it was alright.

I apologised and then we started talking.

"So, where are you from?"

"Malaysia."

Then he laughed.

"So shouldn't you know about that???"

Er...

***awkward moment***

***hands thrown up in air***

But I really didn't know!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can u ask him not to be such an *******? Pak Lah shakes hand with EVERYONE. Whats so special abt HIS HAND now?

I have NEVER met with any Malay guys that wouldn't shake my hand. Even Tunku Naquiyuddin (the Regent of Negri Sembilan) shaked my hand.

Ask him to stop being so old fashioned.

Munny said...

Wah, you're so big shot ar! Even the Regent of NS shook your hand. I'm so glad you're my friend!

=P

p/s: He's not Malaysian. And anyway it's his life, so let him be lah...

Anonymous said...

Ohh he is not Malaysian, thought he was. you can ask him to find out more abt other country's culture before making silly remarks.

:D